I'm fixing a hole...
where the rain gets in ...
and stops my mind from wandering ...
where it will go.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

 

Get a Life!

Let me set up this little story.

I read The Da Vinci Code while I was in Iraq. Very entertaining book. I tore through it in about 36 hours, and it's not exactly short. You might remember me talking about the library in the MWR facility on FOB Danger, where I was the Assistant Manager. The books in the library were not on loan. They were free to soldiers. I still have my copy.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

In my opinion, it's a great book. I don't normally read thrillers, but I read this one, and couldn't put it down. (That's not me in the picture, by the way. My copy is a paperback, not a hard back.)

Enough set up. Let's get to the post!

So, a couple of days ago, I am walking through the book store on post. And I see this book:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I flipped through it. It was hard back. So, I read the liner notes. Then, scanned through the book.

It's absolutely brilliant. Darrell L. Bock spent over a year of painstaking research to investigate all of the references in the book. His conclusion is absolutely earth-shattering. It can be summed up as this: "It's not true. He made it all up!"


Imagine that, Sherlock.

I figured that one out the first time I picked up the book. I think it was the fact that the word "FICTION" was printed on the spine of the book that gave it away. Or maybe it was the fact that it happened to be in the FICTION section of the library I took it from.

I might be mistaken, but I thought that was the point. A fiction book not being true, and being entirely "made up".

I can't wait for this guy's follow up to this. Maybe, he'll tackle the Dr. Seuss books.

I can see it now. "Hort Didn't Hear the Who ... he just saw him", or maybe, "The Grinch Didn't Steal Christmas, he co-opted it into his winter marketing scheme", or even better, "Green Eggs and Ham: The Torquoise Truth".

design by dreamyluv

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Get Firefox!
Get Thunderbird!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us