I'm fixing a hole...
where the rain gets in ...
and stops my mind from wandering ...
where it will go.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

 

My favorite Christmas'

 My favorite Christmas' were in what Amy and Brandon refer to as "the country house",
The place Mom and Dad had about 10 miles outside of Eldon, MO.
---
It wasn't, necessarily, the place that was great.
It was the moment.
---
It was late Christmas Day.
Long after the frenzy leading up to the day, the "BIG FAMILY DINNER", AND the opening of the presents.
The toys had been assembled.
The new clothes had been "tried on" to see if they fit right.
---
That was all done.
---
My favorite moment:
Outside, if there is not snow on the ground (most often there wasn't), the temperature was in the 20's or lower. ... and tending the fire is "my job", and kind of a "zen" thing for me, anyway.
The TV is on, and football is playing.
At this point, it doesn't matter whether if it's NFL or college ball.
Dad is in his chair, asleep, on one of the few days of the year he can rest like this, and the "background noise" of the game is comforting to him. ... and it's not very loud, anyway. ... At least, not as loud as his snoring.
Mom is either puttering around in the kitchen, or reading a book, on the sofa.
Craig, by this point, has become bored with his new toys, and is entertaining himself with the boxes that those toys came in. In fact, most often, it seems like the boxes were more fun for him than the toys.
But he is off in the corner, under what we referred to as the "game table", and is fairly quiet.
I'm tending the fire in the fireplace (or later, in the fireplace insert), enjoying the tranquility, and, probably, "plunking" away at my acoustic guitar, quietly.
---
For the first time in weeks, if not months, all four of us are in the same place, at the same time, and there is no "agenda", or "frenzy" driving things.
We can just "be" and while we are separate, we are "being" together.
---
In 1984, Mannheim Steamroller, did their "Mannheim Steamroller Christmas" album/CD. It was one of the first CD's I ever owned, and I still have it.
---
On that album, they did "Silent Night", under the original German title: "Stille Nacht".
---
When I heard their rendition, it took me back to those moments, IMMEDIATELY.
I WAS THERE, in that time and place, even though that was, at least, 3 years in my past.
TO THIS DAY, I hear that piece, and in my mind and heart, I am THERE.
---
This song, and the memories it evokes give me a sense of peace that few other things do.




design by dreamyluv

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Get Firefox!
Get Thunderbird!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us