I'm fixing a hole...
where the rain gets in ...
and stops my mind from wandering ...
where it will go.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

 

Tuba Anniversary/TubaChristmas

Today is a GREAT DAY for tuba (and euphonium) players, around the world.
On this day, in 1902, the FATHER of modern euphonium and tuba playing was born, William Bell .
---
Mr. Bell was dead by my 6th birthday.
HOWEVER, I was mentored, momentarily, by one of his students, the late, great, Harvey Phillips (another Missouri "boy").
SOMEWHERE, there is a picture of me and Harvey, together, taken by my late mother-in-law. ... AND, Harvey autographed my "TubaChristmas" book.
---
Harvey was one of the founders of what is, now, ITEA, ... the International Tuba-Euphonium Association.
Part of that founding was Harvey creating "Tuba Christmas" celebrations, in homage to his teacher.
---
THAT is why the Bach chorale "Komm Susser Tod" (Come Sweet Death) is played at EVERY "TubaChristmas.
Because Harvey wanted to do an homage to his teacher, on his birthday ... and missed him.
---
And it is half the reason that I keep it in the Legion Band repertoire (the band I conduct).
The other reason is that is one of the pieces that my BEST musical mentors, John Howser, LOVES to conduct.
---
So, to all my tuba and euph playing brethren, "Merry Christmas", because we have DOUBLE reasons to celebrate the day.
---
And, once again, here is Harvey singing: "Santa Wants a Tuba for Christmas".

design by dreamyluv

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Get Firefox!
Get Thunderbird!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us