I'm fixing a hole...
where the rain gets in ...
and stops my mind from wandering ...
where it will go.

Friday, May 13, 2005

 

When Bad Acronyms Happen to Good People

I've noticed this particular phenomenon before. I've always found it irritating. Today, once again, I was brought face to face with it.

I was in a meeting this afternoon, at work. The person was supposed to brief us on the "Safe Neighborhood Awareness Program", or "SNAP". (You know how the military loves acronyms.) This program is the equivalent of the civilian Neighborhood Watch program. The briefer was the person in charge of SNAP for all of the housing units that are under the supervision of the post here in Bamberg.

Both he, and the person that introduced him, kept on referring to the SNAP program.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, wouldn't the make what they were talking about the "Safe Neighborhood Awareness Program" program?

Wouldn't that be the program that sets up SNAP on various posts, and not SNAP, itself?

People, People, People! If you are ever in the place to give a program an acronym, either put "program" in the name and refer to it by the acronym, only, or don't put "program" in the acronym!

This message has been brought to you by the Committee to Wipe Out, Eliminate, and Remove Redundancy Council.

design by dreamyluv

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Image Hosting at ImageShack.us
Get Firefox!
Get Thunderbird!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us